A framework approach to create an Automated Regression Test Bed has many benefits over the traditional simple capture/playback or custom scripts methodology. However evolving a keyword driven framework approach for automating the regression test bed of scripts, may take time and is generally not recommended if at all any major changes are expected to be met up in near or even near far future.
How to do Automation Testing :
• Reuse of Tests : When a certain set of test scenarios require frequent execution it makes more sense to automate them and reap the benefits of unattended automated execution of test scripts.
• Another example will be in cases where a single script needs to be executed with multiple data sets. In such cases the effort to automate a single script and running it with multiple data sets is far less than the manual execution effort for all those data sets.
• Time Save : Running unattended automated test scripts saves human time as well as machine time than executing scripts manually.
• Better use of people : While automated scripts are running unattended on machines, testers can do more useful tasks.
• Cost Saving : On test engagements requiring a lot of regression testing, usage of automated testing reduces the people count and time requirement to complete the engagement and helps reduce the costs.
• Machines are more reliable than humans : Great confidence will be gained when a system is released, when we use automated testing . With some approach instead fo just record and is playback , it becomes very easy easy to maintain and update the scripts with newer releases or changes done to the application. Also the degree of scripting gets minimized as the resources working on the automation scripting mature to successfully understand and develop some set of library for their reusability.
• Selective testing : There should be an easy way to only test the breadth of the application without doing a lot of depth testing. This is to be used for stability testing of an application • There should be an easy way to select test scenarios at a more granular level in order set up more targeted regression.
• Recovery : If test script execution is stopped at any moment for any reason, the test suite should be able to resume testing from that point at any time later. We should not need to re-test functionality that had passed earlier.
• Scalability : It should be possible to execute tests from different machines at the same time in order to gain time efficiencies.
• Inter-environment portability : The scripts should run on any given test environment without any code change (technical intervention).
• Usability : With minimal amount of training, anyone on the team must be able to execute the automated suite . The script must run without any manual intervention.